The nature of forestry means workers are not only operating in a dangerous environment but one that is often remote and not within coverage of traditional cellular or landline networks. A comprehensive communications setup is required to ensure these remote sites operate as efficiently and safely as possible.
In the US alone in 2019 the logging industry generated revenues of $15.9 billion with this figure estimated to rise to $16.2 billion by 2024*. Combined with the increased digitalization of the supply chain satellite technologies have an important part to play in increasing the productivity of this growing sector.
* IBISWorld Industry Reports www.ibisworld.com for 2018/19 Industry Reports
Our Satellite Communications Solutions for Forestry:
- We offer a range of high-speed satellite internet terminals which can be deployed to provide site workers with a reliable remote office in which to communicate valuable information back to head office.
- Our satellite tracking devices can be used to track and monitor remote workers.
- We offer satellite tracking devices with easy to use SOS buttons can be carried by lone workers to notify colleagues if they need assistance.
- We provide a full range of two-way, shortwave, longwave and push-to-talk radios to cover all voice communication requirements.
Case Study: UK Forestry Commission tracking more than 1,000 lone workers.
SPOT Gen3 Satellite Trackers were supplied to the UK Forestry Commission to improve the safety of staff when working in areas with unreliable phone and radio communications.
“In an emergency situation, particularly if a person is in danger of going into shock, having a device that is quick and easy to use is paramount. We wanted something small enough to fit in a pocket, yet able to provide a lifeline in critical situations,” said a spokesperson for the Forestry Commission. “Many members of our team work in the most remote parts of the UK which are unreachable by radio and mobile phones. With the SPOT Gen3, they have a satellite-based device that brings peace of mind.”